The Sheriff’s Memory Impaired Locating Endeavor (SMILE) program is similar to the Safe Return Program sponsored by the Alzheimer’s Association for those with memory impairments.
Statistics show that 3 out of 5 dementia patients will wander at some point. This can be dangerous, even life-threatening, and puts additional stress on caregivers and family.
How the program works -
1. Referrals from citizens, family members, or caregivers are forwarded to the Senior Services Center at the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office.
2. Contact is made, a preliminary assessment is completed, and the appropriate actions are arranged.
3. Program participants are enrolled, photographed, and issued either an ID bracelet or necklace as well as a scent kit.
4. ID bracelets & necklaces have a unique registration number and the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office 24-hour contact phone number printed on the back.
5. If the person wanders, the scent kit can aid the bloodhounds in location efforts. The ID bracelet or necklace can help establish contact if found.
Who can enroll?
Enrollment in the S.M.I.L.E. program is open to Citrus County residents who have been diagnosed with memory impairment issues such as Alzheimer's or dementia. Additionally, those with autism or other disorders where communication can be difficult are also eligible to enroll.
This program is free of charge.
How to enroll –
Contact the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office Senior Services Center at (352) 746-3484
Other Community Resources
- Alzheimer’s & Dementia Alliance - (352) 671-9600
- Citrus County Senior Care Services - (352) 527-5930
- Alzheimer’s 24/7 Crisis Line - (800) 272-3900
Click here for the SMILE brochure
SCENT PRESERVATION KITS
The Sheriff’s Office is proud to partner with Find-M' Friends, Inc. to provide FREE scent preservation kits to the community.
These kits are put together by Find-M'-Friends and distributed to families with children or adults with memory issues.
The Scent Preservation Kit is a special jar ( no, an ordinary jar won't work) designed to preserve your scent for 7 years, maybe longer, if kept unopened.
Then, in the case of an emergency, the family is able to provide the scent kit to law enforcement so it may be used to track the missing individual.
Scent Kits can be picked up at CCSO's Main Operations building, 1 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Ave. in Inverness, or our Emergency Operations Center, 3549 Saunders Way in Lecanto, or by contacting Find-M-Friends at 352-613-3486.
While the kits are free of charge, we encourage anyone picking one up to donate to Find-M'-Friends so they are able to continue their great mission!
We are proud to have great partners right here in our community!