The Sheriff’s Memory Impaired Locating Endeavor (SMILE) program is similar to the Safe Return Program sponsored by the Alzheimer’s Association for those with memory impairments.
Statistics show that 3 out of 5 dementia patients will wander at some point. This can be dangerous, even life-threatening, and puts additional stress on caregivers and family.
How the program works -
1. Referrals from citizens, family members, or caregivers are forwarded to the Senior Services Center at the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office.
2. Contact is made, a preliminary assessment is completed, and the appropriate actions are arranged.
3. Program participants are enrolled, photographed, and issued either an ID bracelet or necklace as well as a scent kit.
4. ID bracelets & necklaces have a unique registration number and the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office 24 hour contact phone number printed on the back.
5. If the person wanders, the scent kit can aid the bloodhounds in location efforts. The ID bracelet or necklace can help establish contact if found.
Who can enroll?
Enrollment in the SMILE program is open to Citrus County residents who have been diagnosed with memory impairment issues such as Alzheimer’s or dementia.
This program is free of charge.
How to enroll –
Contact the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office Senior Services Center at (352) 746-3484
Other Community Resources
- Alzheimer’s & Dementia Alliance - (352) 671-9600
- Citrus County Senior Care Services - (352) 527-5930
- Alzheimer’s 24/7 Crisis Line - (800) 272-3900
SCENT PRESERVATION KITS
The Sheriff’s Office is proud to partner with Find-M' Frinds, Inc to provide a FREE scent preservation kits to the community.
These kits are put together by Find-M'-Friends and distributed to families with children or adults with memory issues.
Then, in the case of an emergency, the family is able to provide the scent kit to law enforcement so it may be used to track the missing individual.
Scent Kits can be picked up at CCSO's Main Operations building, 1 Dr. Martin Luthar King Jr Ave. in Inverness, or our Emergency Operations Center, 3549 Saunders Way in Lecanto.
While the kits are free of charge, we encourage anyone picking one up to donate to Find-M'-Friends so they are able to continue their great mission!
We are proud to have great partners right here in our community!
The Scent Preservation Kit is a special jar ( no, an ordinary jar wont work) designed to preserve your sent for 7 years, maybe longer, if kept unopened.
The kits are available at the Sheriff's Office Operations Center, the EOC, the Cystal River Community Resource Office or by contacting Find-M-Friends at 352-613-3486.