The Sheriff’s Memory Impaired Locating Endeavor (SMILE) program is similar to the Safe Return Program sponsored by the Alzheimer’s Association for those with memory
impairments. Statistics show that 3 out of 5 dementia patients will wander at some point. This can be dangerous, even life threatening, and puts additional stress on caregivers and family.
How the program works -
1. Referrals from citizens, family members, or caregivers are forwarded to the Senior Services Center at the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office.
2. Contact is made, a preliminary assessment is completed, and the appropriate actions are arranged.
3. Program participants are enrolled, photographed, and issued either an ID bracelet or necklace as well as a scent kit.
4. ID bracelets & necklaces have a unique registration number and the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office 24 hour contact phone number printed on the back.
5. If the person wanders, the scent kit can aid the bloodhounds in location efforts. The ID bracelet or necklace can help establish contact if found.
Who can enroll?
Enrollment in the SMILE program is open to Citrus County residents who have been diagnosed with memory impairment issues such as Alzheimer’s or dementia.
This program is free of charge.
How to enroll –
Contact the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office Senior Services Center at (352) 746-3484